fbpx

Eight more bodies found in collapsed Miami building as death toll hits 36

The search and rescue effort is entering its 14th day today, Wednesday (Picture: Reuters/AP)

A further eight bodies have been recovered from the collapsed Miami apartment block as the death toll climbs to 36 – while more than 100 people remain missing.

The eight lots of human remains were pulled from the rubble on Tuesday – the most in a single day since the building came crumbling down on June 24.

Almost two weeks later and rescue teams and still working around the clock, removing several tonnes of rubble a day, in the hope of finding some survivors beneath the concrete.

But their rescue efforts at the doomed Champlain Towers South face being hampered by tropical storm Elsa, which is due to make landfall in Florida later today. The cyclone-like storm is predicted batter Surfside, in Miami, and the wider Florida area with driving rain and 50mph winds.

A team works to extricate remains as search and rescue personnel look on, atop the rubble at the Champlain Towers South condo building where scores of people remain missing almost two weeks after it partially collapsed (Picture: AP)

Elsa has already wreaked havoc in the Caribbean, leaving three dead and hundreds of homes destroyed.

The continuing search at the Champlain Towers involves the Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue Department and so far rescue workers have found no sign of survivors.

Since Monday crews have found 14 dead bodies at the site.

‘Right now, we’re in search and rescue mode’, said the the county’s police director, Freddy Ramirez, during a news conference on Tuesday evening.

‘Our primary goal right now is to bring closure to the families’, he added.

No-one has been rescued alive from the site since the first hours after the building collapsed, which happened when many of its residents were asleep.

Searchers say they are still looking for any open spaces within the mounds of rubble where additional survivors might be trapped, explained the county’s fire chief, Alan Cominsky.

‘Unfortunately, we are not seeing anything positive’, he said.

Furniture sits perched in the remains of apartments sheared in half, in the still standing portion of the Champlain Towers South condo building

Furniture sits perched in the remains of apartments sheared in half, in the still standing portion of the Champlain Towers South condo building (Picture: AP)
Rescue workers use a tarp for recovered remains at the site of the collapsed Champlain Towers South condo building on Monday, July 5 (Picture: AP)

Miami-Dade mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the families of the missing were preparing for news of ‘tragic loss’ as the days since the collapse turn into weeks.

She said US president Joe Biden, who visited the area last week, called on Tuesday to offer his continued support.

‘I think everybody will be ready when it’s time to move to the next phase’, she said.

The rescue mission has progressed quickly this week after, on Sunday,v engineers took the decision to demolish the portion of the building that remained standing in a controlled detonation, briefly halting the search but opening up new areas of the pile for first responders.

The demolition of the structurally unstable final section of the building was necessary for work to continue, officials said.

Crews have removed 124 tonnes of debris from the site and the debris is being sorted and stored in a warehouse as potential evidence in the investigation into why the building collapsed.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

Thanks for reading the whole article. If you wish to get an daily update about Eight more bodies found in collapsed Miami building as death toll hits 36 , click on the bell button to subscribe for the notifications.

Also, we are now available on all social media:
Follow us for Giveaways and Offers: https://www.flow.page/g-covers

For any Paid Promotions contact us here: https://www.flow.page/g-covers