fbpx

‘Evil’ knifeman who tried to kill four strangers jailed for life

Relatives of one of Carlos Racitalal’s victims called him a ‘calculating, evil man’ (Pictures: SWNS)

A knifeman who tried to kill four strangers, including a five-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy, in a series of random attacks has been jailed for life.

Carlos Racitalal, 33, will serve a minimum term of 22 and a half years after being convicted of four counts of attempted murder relating to separate incidents in Leicester in January this year.

Shocking CCTV stills released by police shows him running down a street holding a huge knife after stabbing a man in his 70s.

He also slashed a young boy’s throat and ran over a little girl in a car park. All four victims received hospital treatment before being discharged days later.

Police were initially called to reports the 10-year-old boy, who has not been identified, had been stabbed in Belper Street, Leicester, at 5.30pm on January 18.

He suffered a slash wound to his neck while saving a parking space for his mum and was taken to hospital where he underwent surgery. He was discharged from hospital two days later.

Speaking after Racitalal was sentenced, the boy’s family said: ‘Seeing our young child being attacked on that horrific day was like living a nightmare for us. It is something which no-one should ever have to go through.

CCTV of Carlos Racitalal fleeing the scene of one attack with a huge knife (Picture: SWNS)

‘We have watched our boy suffering unimaginable pain and the events of that day still remain with us now and still scare us. We still have sleepless nights from it.

‘Life will simply never be the same for us. We do not wish for anyone to ever go through what we have been through since that day.

‘All of the attacks which were carried out by the defendant were terrible and horrific for all the victims involved and for their families.

‘We just wish and pray that they had not happened to anyone and our prayers remain with all of those who have been affected.’

During enquiries into the stabbing, the suspect was linked to two similar incidents.

Racitalal was handed four life sentences and ordered to serve at least 22 and a half years (Picture: SWNS)

A woman in her 30s suffered a slash wound to the back of the head on Doncaster Road in Leicester shortly after 7.30pm on January 14.

She was walking with two young children when she felt something sharp to the back of her head. She described seeing a person holding a knife with a yellow handle who ran away.

A man in his 70s was slashed on the back of his head and hands in Dean Road two days later on January 16.

His family said: ‘No sentence will ever be long enough for this calculating, evil man but at least our dad, and the rest of the families affected by these brutal attacks, now have some form of justice.

‘Carlos Racitalal has shown no remorse at all for his vicious crimes and we are now safer knowing that this dangerous man is locked up.’

CCTV footage of Racitalal was released on January 20 and he handed himself in at Mansfield House police station a few hours later where he was arrested.

He was carrying a rucksack at the time of his arrest which was the same as one seen in CCTV images from the incidents.

Racitalal was convicted following a nine-day trial at Leicester Crown Court (Picture: SWNS)

Racitalal was then linked to a fourth incident in a car park in Exploration Drive, Leicester, just after 11.30am on January 2.

A five-year-old girl was hit from behind by a car which then left the scene. She suffered injuries including a broken nose, cuts and bruises.

During his police interview Racitalal denied being responsible for any of the incidents, insisted he had not been in contact with any of the victims and denied being in possession of a knife.

A search of his bedroom uncovered a large kitchen knife wrapped in a pillowcase and a yellow handled Stanley-style knife was also found in a box on the bed.

Detective Inspector Tim Lindley said: ‘This was an extremely complex investigation with very distressing circumstances.

‘Racitalal is an extremely dangerous man who had no concern, regard or remorse for any of his victims, who ranged from young children to an elderly man.

‘Racitalal carried out his attacks with weapons including knives and a car, before then running away or driving off from the scene.

‘The dedication and commitment of officers and staff both in the investigative team and across force led to these incidents being linked.

‘The team then worked tirelessly around the clock determined to gather the evidence and find the person responsible.

‘My thoughts and thanks are with the victims of these attacks, for their bravery, patience and co-operation during an extremely traumatic time.

‘I hope this court result helps in some small way as they continue to move forward in their lives.’

The judge, Mr Justice Linden, told the court: ‘I wholeheartedly agree that the work of the police in this case in keeping the public safe is to be commended.

‘What has struck me about this case: had there not been such a thorough and prompt police investigation, particularly regarding the work done in relation to the CCTV, the defendant would most likely still be at large – as his victims were unable to identify their attacker.

‘In all likelihood the thoroughness of the police work on the CCTV is likely the basis upon which the jury have convicted.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.