fbpx

Investigation into leak of Queen’s funeral plans could be launched in days

The Royal Family is said to be furious about the leak and is on a warpath (Picture: AFP/Getty Images)

A formal investigation into a leak of plans for what will happen when the Queen dies could be launched in a matter of days, according to reports.

The Royal Family is said to be furious and officials are trying to find out who revealed the confidential documents.

It is assumed the plans were leaked from Whitehall, which is likely to be rather awkward for Boris Johnson when he visits the Queen in Balmoral Castle this weekend.

They show a full 10 day programme for the death of Britain’s longest serving monarch, codenamed Operation London Bridge.

It includes the accession to the throne of Prince Charles, culminating in a state funeral.

Vast crowds are expected to descend on the capital to see the Queen lying in state before a Westminster Abbey service.

It is thought the leak came from Whitehall, which could be particularly embarrassing for Boris Johnson (Picture: PA)

The documents include memos revealing concerns over London becoming ‘full’ as millions flock to pay their respects.

It also features notes on flags having to be lowered within 10 minutes of the official announcement and Prince Charles touring the UK after being declared King – known as Operation Spring Tide.

The protocol was supposed to be reserved for a select group of government officials and specialist reporters, until it was leaked to Politico and shared with the world earlier today.

Now the Cabinet Office will try and find out which version of the documents, which are updated regularly, were leaked.

TOPSHOT - The coffin of Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh is laid onto a modified Land Rover Defender in the quadrangle ahead of the ceremonial funeral procession to St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, west of London, on April 17, 2021. - Philip, who was married to Queen Elizabeth II for 73 years, died on April 9 aged 99 just weeks after a month-long stay in hospital for treatment to a heart condition and an infection. (Photo by Adrian DENNIS / POOL / AFP) (Photo by ADRIAN DENNIS/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

The documents contain a full 10 day programm, including the accession to the throne of Prince Charles, culminating in a state funeral (Picture: AFP/Getty Images)

They will also try to establish the source of the leak, working, sharing some of their plans with police, local government, whitehall departments and the Royal household.

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, who previously worked for the Duke of Cambridge, is not expected to make a final decision on a full investigation before next week.

One government source told the Mirror: ‘Neither the Palace nor the Government are particularly happy when leaks of this nature occur. But it is more annoying than damaging to the plans.’

Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the leak but royal sources said there was ‘widespread condemnation’ of the sharing of such sensitive details.

Royal author Angela Levin said: ‘I think it is awful and cruel to release the top-secret plans about the Queen’s death. Where are our morals?’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Thanks for reading the whole article. If you wish to get an daily update about Investigation into leak of Queen’s funeral plans could be launched in days , click on the bell button to subscribe for the notifications.

Also, we are now available on all social media:
Follow us for Giveaways and Offers: https://www.flow.page/g-covers

For any Paid Promotions contact us here: https://www.flow.page/g-covers