fbpx

Man Utd star’s agent claims Cristiano Ronaldo signing is ‘bad news’

Cristiano Ronaldo is due to play for Manchester United again on Saturday (Picture: Getty Images)

Donny van de Beek’s agent, Guido Albers, has said that Cristiano Ronaldo’s re-signing for Manchester United is bad news for the Dutchman and revealed that talks had begun for a move to Everton before the transfer window closed.

Albers did also explain that the proposed move to Goodison Park for Van de Beek was taken off the table because Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to keep hold of him and has promised a more significant role in the first team this season.

Van de Beek arrived in the summer of 2020 in a deal worth an initial £35m from Ajax, but made almost no impression in his first season at Old Trafford, scoring just one goal and finding starts very hard to come by.

Ronaldo’s arrival makes it all the more difficult for Van de Beek to get into the starting XI and Albers admits he was not too pleased to see the Portuguese arrive back in Manchester, so much so that he was pursuing a move to Everton.

‘Cristiano arrived on Friday which we knew was bad news for us. Pogba plays on the left, and with Cristiano’s arrival it means another extra player in midfield, with Pogba moving away from the left,’ Albers told Ziggo Sport, via the Mirror.

‘We had conversations with Solskjær and the board. We took the initiative to find a club and our search ended up at Everton. We opened talks with Marcel Brands and Farhad Moshiri.

‘On Monday night [before deadline day] we received a call from Solskjær and the club who told us that a transfer was out of question and that he had to report himself to training the next morning.’

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 07: Donny van de Beek of Manchester United during the Pre Season Friendly fixture between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford on August 7, 2021 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images)

Donny van de Beek has struggled to make any impact at Manchester United (Picture: Getty Images)

Albers says that Solskjaer has assured his client that he will be playing more regularly in the Premier League this season after starting just four league matches last season.

The 24-year-old has been on the substitutes’ bench for all three Premier League matches so far this season and is yet to make an appearance.

‘The perspective now is that we stated that Donny is not a Carabao Cup player, or FA Cup player, or to play only in European games. Donny went to England to play in the Premier League,’ said the agent.

‘The way the conversation went this time [with Solskjær] compared to last summer… things are much more clear now. I have full expectations that Donny will get his chance now.

‘Donny worked extremely hard in the summer. He only had seven days off. The rest of the summer he trained to become top fit. He is totally ready.’


MORE : ‘It’s a little welcoming gift’ – Jesse Lingard explains why he performed Cristiano Ronaldo’s celebration in England’s win over Andorra


MORE : PSG believe Lionel Messi transfer is bigger than Cristiano Ronaldo’s Man Utd return

For more stories like this, check our sport page

Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on FacebookTwitter and Instagram

Thanks for reading the whole article. If you wish to get an daily update about Man Utd star’s agent claims Cristiano Ronaldo signing is ‘bad news’ , click on the bell button to subscribe for the notifications.

Also, we are now available on all social media:
Follow us for Giveaways and Offers: https://www.flow.page/g-covers

For any Paid Promotions contact us here: https://www.flow.page/g-covers