Personal trainer Thomas Mansfield became ill minutes after drinking the shake (Picture: Wales News Service)
A personal trainer died shortly after consuming a pre-workout drink mixed with caffeine, an inquest has heard.
Thomas Anthony Mansfield, 29, began to feel unwell just minutes after ingesting the caffeine powder he’d mixed into his drink on January 5.
It’s still unclear what went wrong but tests showed he may have taken five times the potentially fatal level of caffeine.
He was pronounced dead later that same day at Glan Clwyd Hospital in Bodelwyddan.
An inquest into his death, which was formally opened at Ruthin County Hall on Monday, heard how Mr Mansfield consumed the powder at his home on Lawson Road in Colwyn Bay.
Family members said his condition deteriorated quickly as he fell into a ‘fit’ and began to foam at the mouth before being taken to hospital.
Post-mortem results gave Mr Mansfield’s provisional cause of death as caffeine toxicity.
The toxicology test, undertaken at Gwynedd Hospital, found that Mr Mansfield’s blood contained extremely high traces of caffeine.
Tests showed Thomas may have had five times the fatal limit of caffeine in his blood
Family members said Thomas became ill very quickly (Picture: Wales News Service)
Mr Mansfield was pronounced dead at Glan Clwyd Hospital (Picture: Geograph)
Tests showed Mr Mansfield had a level of 392 milligrammes of caffeine per litre of blood.
The coroner said a normal cup of coffee contained 2-4 milligrammes and deaths had been recorded at 78 milligrammes.
Writing on social media at the time of her husband’s death, wife Suzy – who had two children, Tommy and Millie, with Thomas – said she was ‘absolutely heartbroken’ by the tragedy.
She said: ‘My world has been ripped apart and my kids have lost their daddy.
‘I’ve lost the love of my life. Tom passed away at the hospital, the family tried so hard but it wasn’t enough. He was my whole life I’ll never get over this. You were my life Tom.’
‘I’m missing you so much and trying so hard for the kids keep it together, I love you more than I could love anyone, I’ll always love you.’
Thomas was super fit before he died (Picture: Wales News Service)
The personal trainer ingested the caffeine at his house in Lawson Road, Colwyn Bay (Picture: Google)
John Gittins, coroner for North Wales east and central, said that a ‘substantial investigation’ will be held into the circumstances surrounding Mr Mansfield’s death.
Further analysis of the caffeine powder used by the personal trainer will be conducted with the help of Conwy Council and the Food Standards Agency.
The coroner adjourned the inquest to a later date pending further inquiries.
They have two children together, Tommy and Millie, and well-wishers rallied round to fundraise for the family following Mr Mansfield’s death.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com .
For more stories like this, check our news page .
Get your need-to-know
latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Thanks for reading the whole article. If you wish to get an daily update about
Personal trainer, 29, dies after consuming caffeinated workout drink
, click on the bell button to subscribe for the notifications.
Also, we are now available on all social media:
Follow us for Giveaways and Offers: https://www.flow.page/g-covers
Paid Promotions contact us here: https://www.flow.page/g-covers