A teenager was electrocuted after going onto a railway line oblivious to the dangers, an inquest has heard.
Callum Evans spent the afternoon of September 15 on the beach with friends, drinking Malibu slushies and wine before missing their train home.
The father of one of his friends took them to Hinton Admiral railway station in the New Forest so that they could catch a taxi home.
While waiting for the cab back to Southampton, Callum and two of his friends climbed down onto the tracks.
Elspeth Hargreaves said: ‘We were running around the tracks, it was all for a bit of fun, I wasn’t aware that any rail was live with electricity, if I had known this then I wouldn’t have gone trackside.
‘We all got back on the platform and a train came through at fast speed. After the train came through I felt uneasy about going on the track.
‘Callum then went back on his own and started playing on the tracks.
‘Callum was laid on the tracks and wasn’t moving, we called out to Callum ‘Get up’, when he didn’t move I knew something was wrong, I called the police and ambulance and then noticed Callum was alight with fire and there was smoke coming from him.’
Coroner Jason Pegg has now filed a report with Network Rail asking them to improve warning signs.
His call was echoed by Kevin Pratt from British Transport Police. He said: ‘For 10 years I have continually asked for the railway industry to put in better warning signs, my suggestion is “Danger of Death” like at an electrical substation.’
Recording a verdict of accidental death, he said: ‘The organisation responsible for signage at Hinton Admiral Railway Station is Network Rail and I am going to send them a preventing future deaths report expressing my concerns.’
Callum’s father, Neil Evans, described his son, saying: ‘Callum was a popular child, lots of friends, really enjoyed life at Peter Symonds [College], very friendly, had a lot of time for everyone.’
He added that his son played basketball, rugby and karate and planned to study geography at university.
Thanks for reading the whole article. If you wish to get an daily update about Teenager died instantly after tripping and landing on live rail at train station , click on the bell button to subscribe for the notifications.