The trial for three former Minneapolis police officers who accompanied convicted ex-cop Derek Chauvin in arresting George Floyd has been postponed by a judge to March 2022. J Alexander Keung, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao were originally scheduled to face trial on August 23.
‘Bottom line, we’re not going to trial in August. We need space,’ Cahill said during the hearing on pretrial motions, according to a press pool report.
Defense attorneys for Keung, Lane and Thao agreed with Cahill’s decision. It was not clear who originally asked for the change in date. State prosecutors sought to keep the August trial date, but Cahill noted the defendants’ concerns around a fair trial. Jury questionnaires had not been sent out.
Keung, 27, and Lane, 38, were the first cops to arrive at the Cup Foods store in southern Minneapolis, where Floyd allegedly used a counterfeit $20 bill. Thao, 35, and Chauvin, 45, subsequently responded.
In the federal case, Kueng and Thao are accused of failing to stop Chauvin from kneeling on Floyd’s neck while he was handcuffed on the ground for more than nine minutes. The four ex-cops are charged with ‘deliberate indifference’ to the black man because they did not provide medical care as he repeatedly said he could not breathe.
Last month, a grand jury found Chauvin guilty of all three charges against him – second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. On Wednesday, Cahill ruled that four aggravating factors in Chauvin’s case were proven beyond a reasonable doubt, meaning he could face a longer prison term than Minnesota’s recommended sentencing guidelines.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get your need-to-know
latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Thanks for reading the whole article. If you wish to get an daily update about Trial for three ex-cops in George Floyd’s death postponed to 2022 , click on the bell button to subscribe for the notifications.